According to the National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS), there are more than 1.5 million nonprofits in the U.S. The NCCS also estimates that nonprofits represent 9.2% of annual American wages and salaries. Nonprofits are serious business, which is why I have partnered with NetworkPeninsula to offer business training sessions to nonprofit leaders and staff. I am also answering questions about nonprofit operations over the next several weeks on the blog.
Q: Why should businesses support nonprofits?
One of the great privileges of running a small business is being able to give generously to community organizations and charitable causes that matter to you. Every day, small business owners share their success by giving money, products, and volunteer hours to worthwhile groups in their communities. Nonprofits and charities are constantly looking for funding to help them accomplish their goals, and giving to these organizations is not only a good thing to do, it can also deliver big benefits to your business.
Here are five great reasons your business should support nonprofits:
- Giving back is good for everybody. Small businesses can make the world a better place, and not just by selling great products or services. They can collaborate with nonprofit organizations to create opportunities for the next generation, help people in need, and improve their communities.
- Customers want to support companies that care. Giving back to your community will strengthen relationships with your existing customers and help your business gain new ones.
- You get your (business) name in lights. Sponsoring a charitable program or volunteering your time are great ways to raise awareness about a specific cause and also promote your business in partnership with the organization or event.
- Employee satisfaction goes up. Employee perks have escalated over the past few years and one way to attract the best candidates is to provide volunteer opportunities. Showing you care also gives potential employees a sense of your company’s core values.
- Taxes go down. An important benefit to your business when supporting a charity is being able to get a charitable donation tax deduction.
You’ve got questions, I’ve got answers! Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will answer your questions on my blog for FREE.